Are you having trouble mastering the English language? Are you thinking to yourself, “If only I could improve my English, I could accomplish so much more.”? If you answered yes to all of these questions, I’m sure you’re wondering how you’re going to accomplish that. I’d like to illustrate some of the common problems encountered by English learners in this post, as well as some easy and enjoyable ways to develop your English.
English Language Learning Difficulties
– Inadequate English Vocabulary
When learning a language, vocabulary is important. Any language, including English, contains hundreds of thousands of words. And native speakers of a language sometimes do not know all of its vocabulary. There are just so many things to remember. Indeed, according to numerous sources I’ve come across, there are only 800 words necessary to communicate in English. The list is too lengthy to include here, but a good place to start is to read through it and determine how many words you recognise. You may be surprised at the number of words you know. I’ve posted the list on the World English club, where you can peruse. Another issue that people encounter when acquiring English vocabulary is that they acquire new words but quickly forget what they have acquired. So what are your options?
– Tips for Expanding Your English Vocabulary
There are games and techniques for improving the English vocabulary. The simplest approach I can propose is this: simply create a chart. There is more to it than just creating a list, so continue reading. Make a list of twenty-five words once a week, either from the World English Club Vocab lists or from other prominent websites. When compiling (or creating) your list, be sure to jot down definitions if you are unsure. Make an effort to read and memorise these new phrases. Now, divide the list into five words a day. Research the first five terms on the first day. On the second day, review the following five sentences. Now here’s the trick: on the second day of your five vocabulary terms, attempt to write down the words from yesterday. On the third day, review the vocabulary terms from the previous day and then attempt to recall and write down the vocabulary words from the previous day. Are you beginning to discern a pattern? I really hope so. Do this for five days, then on the sixth day of vocabulary learning, attempt to write down all the vocabulary terms you learned during the previous week. Take your time and give it your all. When you’re done, go through those words and see what you recall. If you follow the method outlined above, I guarantee that you can increase your English vocabulary and retain the words you learn.
– Inadequate English Speaking Ability
One of the most common concerns I hear from individuals who are learning a foreign language is their inability to communicate effectively. Whether it’s a problem with accent reduction or a lack of vocabulary or grammar necessary to carry on a proper conversation, many people struggle with poor speaking skills. People believe that studying grammar in a classroom setting or memorising vocabulary terms will prepare them to speak English as a second language. However, those variables will only increase your knowledge of the English language and will not result in true conversational English skills. Are you having difficulties with your English speaking abilities? Here are several strategies for improving your English speaking abilities.
– Techniques for Improving Your English Speaking Ability
Have you ever attempted to watch a film in English? You have, I’m sure. It is one of the most straightforward activities to engage in when studying and learning English. However, what makes watching movies a good idea? That is what it is; it is hearing the words spoken aloud. Therefore, there is one thing that I’m sure you haven’t considered to replicate this learning effect, but it will result in a greater and more significant change in developing English speaking skills. Take a book to read. It does not have to be a novel, but it must be written in English. Now here’s the trick: read this book OUT LOUD while you read it. Yes, it is that easy. Reading aloud allows you to hear your English while also building your faith in speaking English. It does not have to be for an indefinite period of time. However, you can spend at least five minutes per day reading aloud. Do not give up. I believe that this is a critical approach to practise, and that not enough people do so. Ensure that you are pronouncing your words correctly, and it is appropriate to read slowly if necessary. The argument is that you are speaking English aloud and practising. Due to the fact that many English learners lack opportunities to communicate with native English speakers, this is one of the most effective strategies for improving your English speaking skills. Which takes me to my final issue with English learning.
– Inadequate contact with English-speaking individuals
Being unable to communicate with native English speakers may be a significant impediment for anyone learning English. However, there are numerous activities that can help you enhance your relationship with native English speakers, or at the very least simulate this experience. Which, let’s face it, is probably the most critical aspect of language learning. Relationships. Thus, here are some actions you can take.
– As you are probably conscious, going to the cinema is a good idea. You can learn slang terms and, if you’re interested in learning how to talk like an American, there are many colloquialisms and Americanisms (as I like to refer to them) that are difficult to pick up on by reading alone. To pick up on colloquialisms, one must first hear the terms and phrases spoken in context. As a result, there is no way for you, as a learner, to make a mistake or misinterpret the meaning of the words or phrases when watching movies.
– One method (which I believe is the best) that many English learners overlook is locating a native English speaker in a chat room or on an English learning website and communicating with them through Skype or another internet voice service. There are many people who will gladly speak with you over the phone or over the internet in order to assist you in learning. Alternatively, you might offer to teach them a little of your language in exchange. This way, everybody benefits from the experience. If you are not able to find a native English speaker in your country or area, talking on the phone or on the internet is the next best thing.
– If you are fortunate enough to know an English speaker with whom you can meet (and it should be someone with whom you feel relaxed so that you will not be shy when speaking), arrange to meet in a comfortable location where you can hear each other speak and spend about an hour conversing about everything that comes to mind. Additionally, you should pre-plan several subjects to discuss so that you don’t waste time thinking of things to say. Perhaps jot down any questions you have or have them ask YOU so you can practise responding to them.
There are many other difficulties associated with learning English, but I believe these are the three primary causes. I guarantee that if you are aware of these traps and know how to prevent them, you can boost every aspect of your English learning. And you can quickly become a fluent English speaker. Best of Luck!